Faceted Lampshade from Clear PLA

I’ve had a clear, “low poly” angular sculpture in clear PLA sitting on my self for awhile now. Earlier this week, I turned it into a lamp shade.

I built the original model in Blender along the lines of this video from Maker’s Muse. The gist of the process is:

  • Start with a basic solid, like a sphere or a cube.
  • Decimate the solid (reduce the number of triangles that make up the shape) to a very very low level, perhaps down to 20 or 30 polygons.
  • Stretch and place the vertices of this blocky solid until satisfied.

In this case, I had ideas about turning this shape into a lighting table topper, with an Arduino and LEDs underneath the open base. But other projects popped up, and this open-base blocky pyramid has sat dormant for several months. This week, I finally found a use.

In my living room, I have a tall two-socket light fixture standing in the corner. One socket stands at the top of the lamp, with a broad frosted dish shade, and there’s a small flexible arm coming off the side of the lamp which lost its shade long ago. My partner and I both enjoy using this flexible arm as a re-positionable reading lamp, but that lack of a shade means it’s been pretty glare-y.

By trimming the top off of the clear pyramid, I converted the Agrocrag into a lampshade.

The shade is trapped in place by the bulb itself. Of course, an LED bulb is a must, since the heat of an incandescent (or even CFL) light bulb will melt or deform the shade.

Just a little project-reuse for the home!

Hello, World! Again!

I must have started half a dozen blogs in my life. I still maintain a separate one for Ham Radio at KK9JEF.wordpress.com. I’ll have to see about transferring those posts to this site.

So why another new blog? Two reasons:

  • My blog at KK9JEF.wordpress.com was specifically for my Ham Radio projects and learnings. As my hobbies expand into other areas, I thought it might finally be time to have a general-purpose personal hobbyist blog.
  • I’ve always struggled to find the balance between blog posts that catalog a completed project in whole. For example, my entire K3NG Morse-Code Keyer Project was wrapped into one big post, but I split up my Beach 40 Build into multiple small sections. Neither is perfect – the “blog as you build” method leaves a somewhat scattered trail for those who come after and want to replicate what you did (which is sometimes you in the future), but the “wait until it’s done” method means a lot of the process is undocumented.

To that end, this new site has both BLOG and PROJECTS sections – the blog can be for more single-shot observations, and the projects subpages can contain coherent descriptions of where a particular build or project is at.

It’s worth a shot!